4th of July Roll Cake
Servings: 1 roll (8-10 slices)
5 pcs egg yolk
¼ cup sugar
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
¼ cup canola oil
¼ cup milk
Red and blue food coloring
- For meringue
5 egg white
1/3 cup granulated sugar
- For Filling
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp sugar
1. Line a Fblümlein JU-3200 baking tray with parchment paper. Set the steam oven to Preheat (Grill) mode at 340°F.
2. Separate egg yolks from the egg whites and put them into two different bowls.
3. Combine the yolks and sugar together in a medium size bowl and mix until combined. Add in oil, milk, and mix again for another 2 minutes. Add in flour and mix until batter has no lumps.
4. Make the meringue by mixing egg whites using a hand mixer in a cleaned bowl. Slowly pour sugar and gradually increase the speed of the mixer. Continue to whip the egg whites until fluffy, shiny and reaches soft peaks for about 3 minutes.
5. Add meringue into the yolk batter and gently fold using spatula until everything is incorporated. Make sure not to overfold or the egg whites would be deflated.
6. Divide batter into 2 portions and color one with red and blue for the other. Carefully pour batter into 2 separate ziplock bags, and cut the tip.
7. Carefully pipe a red batter onto pan diagonally, making 1/5 part of the baking pan. Do the same with the blue, and repeat with the red, blue, and red again (see the picture below).
8. Set the oven to Convection at 340°F and bake cake in the oven for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and remove cake from the pan along with the parchment paper. Set aside to cool down.
- For whipped cream
1. Mix together heavy whipping cream and sugar using a hand mixer in a clean mixing bowl for 2-3 minutes until it reaches soft peaks. Chill in the fridge until needed.
- To assemble the cake
1. Place the cooled cake onto large piece of parchment paper, with the top side down.
2. Spread a dollop of whipped cream onto the surface of the cake using an offset spatula.
3. Roll the cake width-wise, using the help of parchment paper to push the roll. Make sure the seam side down is facing down, and wrap the cake with the parchment paper.
4. Place cake in the fridge for at least 2 hours. Slice the cake and enjoy!